Friday, April 27, 2012

Rainy Day in the Smoky Mountains pt 1

Since my daughter and I were out for Spring Break this week, we had originally planned a family camping trip. However, as the week wore on, it became evident that we were in for some cold (below normal) nights and some stormy weather. Now, I don't know about you, but cold nights with a five year old plus storms in a pop-up camper does NOT sound like my idea of fun. My husband only had a couple days off, so we decided to make a quick trip to the Smoky Mountains instead.  That's the cool thing about living so near the Smokies- we can be there in less than three hours.  I called one of our favorite, inexpensive "weekend trip " places- Johnson's Inn- and we were good to go.  It was a last-minute trip and we had no real plans- just to get away from it all.
I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do, but I did get a few.  We took a drive out to Cade's Cove.  Half way through, we were caught in a hail storm. That brought a quick end to the Cades Cove exploration as we hightailed it back to Gatlinburg for the Wing and Rib Fest. Unfortunately, the storms had caused the Wing and Rib Fest to be cancelled as well. :( Oh well... as soon as the rain ended we walked down to Crawdaddy's and had crab legs on the balcony as we watched the world walk by below.
All's well that ends well, I guess. :)

These first two were taken in White Oak Flats Cemetery. (Gatlinburg was originally called White Oak Flats.)  This is right in the middle of town, but most people don't know it is there.  I love to walk up here to get away form the crowds and noise. I like exploring old cemeteries and reading old grave stones.  I know some people think cemeteries are creepy, but I don't.  They are actually very interesting.

 We stopped by the sinks on the way to Cades Cove. This place has always fascinated me and terrified me at the same times. They have a lot of drownings here. Now, look at this place and tell me- would YOU try to swim in this? Not me!  The roar of the water is so loud here.  It's a beautiful place.


The rest of the pictures were taken in Cades Cove.  I've visited this place for years- in every season. I always find something new.  Every season here has its own beauty.  Today a storm was coming, so it shed a whole new light on familiar scenes.



 I took this one (above) because of the white path running across the field.  I wonder where it goes?


No comments:

Post a Comment