Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Rack for Seedlings- for under $100!

It's that time of year (FINALLY) and I've been so busy I haven't blogged in a while. I got more seeds started this past weekend: peppers, eggplant, some herbs and flowers. Hopefully they will sprout soon and move to the grow rack (seed rack, whatever you call it- I have always called them "grow racks" and, to me, that is what they will always be).
Speaking of which, my old rack that I used for my seedlings finally bit the dust. I loved it, though. It was a wooden, A-frame type rack. My husband built it like one I saw in a gardening catalog. I could unfold it and use it throughout the growing season, then take it down and store it through the winter. I used it for several years, but it is really worn out now.
If you have looked in any catalogs lately you know how expensive a these things can be- at least $200, and often twice that. My husband is working long hours now and didn't really have a great deal of time for building another. So, what to do?
 I did a little shopping and this is what I came up with.  I went to Walmart and bought a metal shelving unit for about $49. My husband put it together. I still had the lights from my old rack (also purchased at Walmart a few years ago). He attached them to the shelf with chains and- TADA!- instant grow rack!
Not gorgeous, but it works! I  know the wires are a little unsightly (they are plugged into a surge protector). I can stand to look at it for a little while- until my seedlings are ready to plant. It isn't as tall or as wide as my old rack, but I think I can make it work.
If you have to watch your money (or even if you don't but would rather spend it on something more fun than a grow rack) this is definitely an option.
Now, if only the warmer days would come soon so I could do something about those ugly, empty  planters on my deck.....

No comments:

Post a Comment