Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Southern Sweet Tea- In The Microwave

If you're southern, you get it. If you aren't...you might not. Sweet Tea is a staple of the southern table. No  woman would dare think of serving dinner without it. It is a must-have on hot summer days...and cold winter days, too.
 I've been making tea this way over 20 years and you couldn't pay me to go back to that boiling-on-the-stove method again. (Honestly, I doubt I'd remember how....) (Sorry, Mom.)

All you need are the following:

  • 1 microwavable glass container. (I use a Pampered Chef Mix & Pour, but I have also used a plain Pyrex bowl.)
  • 1 gallon pitcher
  • Family size tea bags. (I use 2, my hubby uses 3 or 4. He likes his tea to be strong enough to get up and walk out of the microwave on it's own.)
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar
  • water
  • wooden spoon

Fill the microwave dish until almost full. (You don't have to measure anything at this point. Trust me on this.)
Add the tea bags.
Microwave on high 9 minutes. 
*The dish will be HOTTTT when you remove it from the microwave. Use mitts!
Meanwhile, pour the sugar into the pitcher.
Pour the tea over the sugar but DO NOT squeeze out the bags! (This makes dark, cloudy tea.)
Stir with the wooden spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
Fill the pitcher the to the top with cold water.
Stir again.
It's ready!
No steeping, no waiting...just add a slice of lemon or lime

As always, I love your comments. Ilook forward to hearing from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment